The Irish Daily Star is facing closure after publishing photos of Kate Middleton topless, with an investigation by the newspaper's Irish based shareholder Independent News and Media (INM) launched today into what they have called a "poor editorial decision.
The Irish paper defended it's decision to publish what editor Michael O'Kane referred to as “tasteful photos” of the Duchess of Cambridge in Saturday's paper.
He said: "The Duchess would be no different to any other celeb pics we would get in, for example Rihanna or Lady Gaga.
"She's not the future queen of Ireland so really the only place this is causing fury seems to be in the UK, and they are very very tasteful pictures."
But that has not been the response of some of it's shareholders, including publishing magnate Richard Desmond, whose company Northern And Shell runs the newspaper in partnership with with the INM.
According to The Telegraph he said: “I am very angry at the decision to publish these photographs and am taking immediate steps to close down the joint venture. The decision to publish these pictures has no justification whatever and Northern & Shell condemns it in the strongest possible terms.”
Since then the National Union of Journalists have criticised his response and according to the BBC claim the response was “over the top”.
Kate Middleton and Prince William continue the royal tour in East Asia (Splash News)
While they aren't able to stop the Irish paper printing the photos, Palace lawyers this morning began legal proceedings in France against French Closer Magazine for invasion of privacy.
Lawyers for the couple will begin legal proceedings against French Closer magazine this morning, though none is expected to be taken in Ireland or Italy.
A royal source told the paper: “We have been advised there is not a realistic chance of bringing successful action in Italy and Ireland so the Duke and Duchess have accepted there is little they can do here. We are keeping our options open and haven’t ruled out action in other countries but time and resources are an issue.
“They are committed to redressing what they feel is the serious wrong done to them in what ways they can. They want to make sure French Closer and the photographer are held to account and to prevent this from happening again.”
As the royal couple continue their tour of East Asia, sources claim initial anger has subsided and now they are concentrating on their duty.
A source told The Mirror: “Their motto is keep calm and carry on.”
“They have had some time to take this in and talk it through and their anger has subsided. They are not actors, they could not be behaving as they had today if they were still furious about it.
"They have put it to bed and it has given them some closure to know legal action is being pursued.”
Kate Smiles Through Heartbreak In The Solomon Islands